**Moonrim** is XT’s personal engineering project to design and build the most comfortable and productive integrated input device with the concept of liftless keyboard. While working as a software engineer, I looked for the perfect keyboard, but couldn’t find any. So I started this project to build one that seeks maximum ergonomics.
These are (roughly) the goals of this project:
- Liftless. Eliminate the need to “lift” the hand during input. All kinds of input, including normal keys, function keys, numpad, ESC, and even mouse control, are reachable from the default hand position.
- Design by musculoskeletal anatomy. The structure of the device, the position of input points, and the whole design, are defined by how human hand is shaped and how its muscles actually work. Moonrim aims for the most comfortable keyboard in the world.
- Eliminate the pain of tendons and ligaments that is prevalent in traditional keyboards, especially when you press the modifier keys such as Ctrl, Alt, Shift.
- Always-reachable standard-size (34mm) trackball for fast and precise coordinate (mouse) input.
- Efficient positioning of input points. We all make mistakes, and therefore backspace is always among the three most frequently used keys, but it’s somehow at the most inconvenient corner. The more frequently used an input point is, the more accessible its location should be.
- Reprogrammable keyboard: Use Arduino/Genuino-compatible board as the controller and modify the firmware in the standard Arduino/Genuino development environment. Change the layout and give special behaviours to key combinations and key sequences.
Regarding the purchase inquiries
There is an ongoing limited edition campaign in South Korea. If it’s successful, there is a chance I might be able to produce more and provide international shipping too. Please stay tuned.